The department works within the triple mandate of Service, Teaching and Research encompassing clinical care, undergraduate / postgraduate academic activities and research in the fields of general haematology and blood transfusion.
- One Resident Doctor has passed the Part I examinations of the Postgraduate Medical Colleges.
- One Medical Laboratory Scientist has successfully completed a course of study and obtained an M.Sc. degree in Parasitology.
- Four Medical Laboratory Assistants have completed their National Certificate of Laboratory Technicians courses.
Staff Development and Training:
- Two Medical Laboratory Scientists were sponsored for the Scientific & Annual Conference of the Association of Medical Laboratory Scientists of Nigeria held in Benin City.
- One Medical Laboratory Technician & Three Medical Laboratory Scientists attended the 2012 Scientific week of the Kano State Chapter of the ALMSN at Royal Tropicana Hotel, Kano.
- One Medical Laboratory Scientist was sponsored to attend workshop on Forensic and Molecular Biology Diagnosis at Lahor Research Centre, Benin City.
- One Medical Laboratory Scientist was sponsored to attend 2 of the three-part workshop on Essentials of Laboratory Quality Management Systems organized by Medical Laboratory Science Council Of Nigeria in Lagos.
- Several resident doctors and consultants were sponsored for various update courses and annual scientific & general meetings and conferences of west African and national postgraduate medical colleges and related professional bodies and associations.