- General Microbiological analysis of clinical specimens routinely and on emergency duties.
- Training of Medical Students at 200, 300 and 400 levels at BUK/AKTH respectively.
- Running of STD/RVD clinics
- Training of resident doctors in laboratory medicine and microbiology
- Participates in the National TB/leprosy control programme of the FMOH as the zonal reference laboratory (North – west)
- Training of the intern medical laboratory scientists.
- Training of students on SIWES and attachment
- Participates in the PEPFAR project for the control of HIV epidemicity.
- Participates in Infectious Control Committee of the hospital
- 3 attended workshop on quality management system by MLSCN at Akwanga and Abuja
- 2 attended workshop on TB culture and line probe assay at Zaria
- 1 attended scientific conference organized by AMLSN
- 3 attended conference organized by Nigerian society of microbiology at Kano
- One Attendant completed Medical Laboratory Assistant Certificate Training.
- Two Resident Doctors become Senior Registrars
- One Medical Laboratory Scientist finished MSc Training
- 3 additional Resident Doctors
- More than 50 SIWES students trained in the department
- 5 intern medical laboratory scientist on training
- More than 10 MSc and PhD students had their project on various aspect of microbiology
- Activation of molecular biology Laboratory that is equipped with 2 PCR machines
- Successful test run of HBV detection and viral and HPV detection using PCR technology
- Construction and equipping of a molecular biology laboratory for TB by Institute of Human Virology – Nigeria