The Department of Ophthalmology provides tertiary eye care services as well as Training and Research.
- Provision of tertiary eye care
- Training of Ophthalmology Residents
- Training of Undergraduate Medical Students
- Training of Community Health Officers
- Community Services
- Consultants 9
- Locum Consultants 2
- Senior Registrar 6 (1 Supernumerary)
- Registrar 4
- Optometrists 2 (3 Intern)
- Optical Technician 2
1. Out Patient Clinics
2. Refraction and Low Vision Services;
3. Dispensing of Glasses and Contact Lenses;
4. Laser Therapy;
5.Visual Field Analysis;
6. Optical Coherence Tomography;
7. Fundal Angiography and Tomography;
8. Ocular A and B Scan.
About two hundred and one (201) different surgical procedures covering cataract, Glaucoma, Paediatric ophthalmology cases, Ocular injuries.
Members participated in various eye camps in Kano, Jigawa, Osun States, and Niger Republic. Vision services and other anterior and posterior segments procedures were done during the year 2012.
Research Work Accepted or published:
- Abdu L, Tijjani BM: Pattern of diabetic retinopathy in Kano, Nigeria. Annals of African Medicine 2012: 11 (2); 75 – 79.
- Abdu L, Salisu AD: Arrow Injuries to the eye:Annals of African Medicine 2012; 11 (12): 116 – 118
- Abduraheem O.M, Abdulkadir AA, Abdu L, Charles OO, Yinka O, Elsie S, Survey and attitude of Nigerian Ophthalmologist to and resources for ophthalmic research: Middle East Africa Journal of Ophthalmology 2012; 19(1): 123 – 128
- DR. ABDU LAWAN (HOD) – Promoted from Associate Professor to the rank of PROFESSOR
- DR. ABUBAKAR TAFIDA – Reappointed as Honourable Commissioner for Health, Jigawa State
- DR S. USMAN YUGUDA IBRAHIM, SADIQ HASSAN, MUSBAHU S. KURAWA, RABI SANI YAHAYA and ABDULSALAM SHUAIBU appointed as Honourary Consultants and Lecturers I in AKTH and BUK respectively
The Department was accredited by the Faculty of Ophthalmology, West African College
- Annual Conference of Ophthalmological Society of Nigeria in Lagos
- World Ophthalmology Conference in Abu Dhabi, U.A.E. (Dr. Kurawa, Dr. Abdulsalam)
- Annual Meeting and Scientific Conference of the West African College of Surgeons in Monrovia, Liberia. (Dr. U. F. Ibrahim, Dr. Sadiq).
- Dr. Usman Y. Ibrahim successfully finished a 3 months Subspecialty course in Oculo-Plasty in India
- Residents attended various Revision/Update Courses Specified by Residency Training guidelines for both West African and National Postgraduate Medical Colleges
The Department passed 5 years full accredited by the Faculty of Ophthalmology, West African College of Surgeons.