Brief History of AKTH:
Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital was established in August, 1988 when the Kano State Government formally handed over the then Aminu Kano Cottege Hospital to the Federal Government to be used as a Teaching Hospital.
The hospital which temporarily started operation at Murtala Mohd. Specialist Hospital moved to its permanent site in 1996. Today the hospital has grown to be a full 500 bedded Teaching hospital with some modern equipment and facilities.
"Its core function is service delivery, Teaching and Research"
The hospital has a staff strength of two thousand four hundred out of which over one hundred are consultants in various specialities. One major area that the hospital has impacted on the lives of the people is in the area of kidney transplant.
The first transplant was done in 2002 and so far over twenty people have had successful kidney Transplant in AKTH.
Dr. Aminu Zakari Mohammed who is the 3rd Chief Medical Director of the hospital assumed duty on 10th October, 2011.
Past CMDs of AKTH:
- Prof. Sadiq Suleiman Wali, MBBS, FWALP 1987-2006
- Dr. Abdulhamid Isa Dutse MBBS, DCP, FWALP 2006-2011
Past AKTH Board Chairmen:
- Late Dr. Abubakar Imam MBBS, MRCS, FROS 1991-1995
- Dr. O. R Long John MBBS, FRCS, FMC 2000
- Alhaji Ahmad Al-ghazali
- Prof. Idris Muhd NNOM, OON, FAS, FRCP
- Dr. Sama’ila Saidu Sambawa 2013 - 2015
Past and Present Chairmen of Medical Advisory Committee:
- Dr Abdulhamid Isa Dutse MBBS, DCP, FWALP 1994 - 1997
- Dr Musa Muhd Borodo MBBS, FMCP 1997 - 2002
- Dr Ibrahim Garba MBBS, FWALP 2002 - 2004
- Dr Sani Alhassan MBBS, FWALS 2004 - 2006
- Dr Aminu Zakri Muhd MBBS, FWCPATH 2006 - 2010
- Dr Hadiza shehu Galadanci MBBS, FWALS 2010 - 2014
- Dr. Muhammad Sani Mijinyawa 2014 to Date
Past Director of Administration:
- Alh Sanusi Abubakar Adamu
- Alh. Sulaiman Muhammad Kaura