The department of radiology is offering wide variety of diagnostic and image-guided therapeutic services. In addition, the department conducts active teaching and research. These activities are taking place from its major delivery points which include accident and emergency unit, old radiology block, main theatre, SCBU and new site radiology block.
The department is supporting the service delivery of younger radiology departments at the federal medical centers of Katsina and Gusau. The department is also rendering ultrasound clinics and X-ray services at Kumbotso Comprehensive Health Center.
The Department has 68 members of staff as shown below:
1. Consultants (Regular & Visiting) - 10
2. Senior Registrars - 14
3. Registrars - 17
4. Medical Physicist - 1
5. Radiographers - 6
6. Interns Radiographers - 4
7. Nurse - 3
8. X-Ray Technicians - 10
9. Secretaries - 6
10. Health Assistants - 4
11. Hospital Attendants - 8
- Ceiling suspended trauma Unit Radiography System has been installed at the Accident and Emergency Unit.
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiography system (ERCP) for diagnosis and treatment of mainly pancreatic and hepato-biliary diseases installed at the ERCP Suite in Abdullahi Bayero Centre.
Pioneering New Services:
- The department conducted the first case of image-guided percutaneous biliary drainage.
- The department performed the first case of catheter-directed intra endovascular thrombolysis of pulmonary thrombosis in Nigeria.
- Placement of Inferior vena caval filters (for the first time in Nigeria) for patients at risk of recurrent pulmonary embolism.
- The department performed the first case of coil embolisation varicose gonadal vein in Nigeria.
- Dr. Umar M Umar, Nasir Kabo and Nura Idris passed part-2 fellowship examination (FWACS).
- Dr. Yusuf Lawal, Austine Osawe, Joseph Thomas, George Ajana, Abdulmalik Aliyu and Abdullahi Salisu passed part-1 fellowship examination organized by NPMCN and WACS.
- In addition to the routine intra and inter-departmental seminars/lecture presentations, the department is supporting resident doctors and other undergraduates of Bayero University Kano in conducting ultrasound-related research projects for their respective fellowship and degree examinations.