The Department consists of two units i.e Horticulture and Environmental Health units. The main function of the Horticulture unit includes the following:
• To ensure routine landscaping maintenance in the hospital environment through regular trimming of flowers and trees for aesthetic beauty
• Landscaping newly constructed facilities in the hospital to conform with standard of the other buildings towards having a serene environmental outlook
• Routine establishment and maintenance of lawn in the hospital
• On the job training of staff in various landscaping management activities
• Training of SIWES student from various universities and relevant institutions across the country
• Nursery operation for raising certain ornamental species of plants for use in the
hospital to augment the expenditures incurred by the hospital management in the procurement of seedlings
PUBLIC HEALTH UNIT
• The department is mandated with routine management of health care/ solid waste in the hospital.
• It is also responsible for routine fumigation of operating theatres, drugs manufacturing unit, Dots and Dialysis.
• General sanitation of the entire hospital premises
• Periodic disposal of unclaimed corpses, specimens and expired/infected blood.
• Undertake public health pest and vector control exercise.
• Collection of incineration of safety boxes within the hospital and another sister institution such as Bayero University clinic and Tarauni local government clinics most especially during nationwide polio vaccination exercise.
• Carrying out Sanitary inspection of premises (SIP) in various places such as kitchen, wards and commercial outlets.
• Routine food and meat inspection in order to ensure contamination-free wholesome food is given to patients and staff of the hospital.
• Inspection of wards to identify evidence of rats infestation for prompt treatment/control.
• Distribution of Dustbins to various wards/ units of the hospital.
• Received various environmental health students for SIWES from various institutions across the country
• Received students on excursion from various institutions across the state and some neighbouring states
• Presentation of lectures on various health issues through private radio station for the benefits of the general public
• Chief Environmental Health officer was appointed among the consultants on Health care waste by National Environmental standard and regulation enforcement agency (NESREA)
• Two of our environmental health officers are currently undergoing degree programmes with National Open University and Bayero University respectively for their professional development
DR S.M GALAUDU
Head of Department