Works and Services Department has the responsibilities of ensuring that equipment and facilities within the hospital are kept in a good working condition. In brief the department has the following responsibilities:
- To provide an engineering and maintenance services for the hospital.
- To provide a conducive working atmosphere for all other departments to carry out their functions smoothly.
- To undertake some minor engineering construction within the hospital.
- To advise Management on all technical matters e.g. project and equipment procurement.
- Supervision of capital projects for the hospital
- Ensuring that capital projects are executed to specification and within cost.
The department is headed by a Registered Engineer assisted by other engineers from various field of engineering, technicians and other supporting staff. The department has the following divisions i.e Electro-mechanical, Physical planning, maintenance and Biomedical. There are some other units for the purpose of achieving the set objectives of the department within the divisions.
2012 Capital Projects:
The 2012 capital projects for the Hospital are at various level of completion and can be categorized as follows:-
1. Construction of Dental Clinic Block - 85% completed
2. Construction of Access Road and External - 65% completed
3. Supply and installation of 1500KVA Perkins generator - 100% completed
However, due to shortage of funds from the Federal Government some projects started earlier could not be completed and such projects are now slated for 2013 Capital projects and are expected to be completed with adequate appropriation. These projects are as follows:-
- Construction of ICU and Life Support Centre
- Construction of Doctors and Nurses 40 Flats each
- Construction of Combined School Complex
- Construction of Medical Retainership Building
Within the reporting year, the Hospital was fortunate to have some donations of buildings from some philanthropists that are worth over Two Hundred and Fifty Million Naira. These projects are still ongoing and are at various stages of completion. These includes:-
1. Drug Rehabilitation Centre - 90% completed
2. New Proposed Labour Ward and Theatre - 60% completed
3. Special Care Baby Unit - 70% completed
4. Two Blocks for Orthopaedic Patients - 55% completed
5. Additional Medical Ward - 55% completed
The two major services required for the Hospital are water supply and electricity. With the recent commissioning of Tamburawa Water Works by Kano State Government, the water supply has greatly improved and received little or no complains on water supply,The second major service is power supply and was being served via two sources.
The main is from PHCN that caters for all the equipment and provide the necessary lighting within the hospital and staff quarters. While the second source is via our standby generators with various capacities ranging from 100KVA to 1500KVA. We presently have 2No 1500KVA, 1No 1000KVA, 1 No. 250 KVA, 2No 500KVA, 3No 150KVA and 2No 100KVA generators that are all meant to augment the power supply of the hospital in event of power failure from Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN).
Furthermore, the Hospital Management is so concerned about the inadequate power supply to the Hospital and that is why the 11KVA medium voltage panel is prioritized for complete replacement in the 2011 capital project. Though the budget constrained from Federal Government could not allow for the complete replacement of the whole 11KVA switch gear panel in this 2012 capital year. However, we are still hopeful that one day the remaining 11KVA panels will equally be sourced and be put to use.